The Pursuit

From: Thought Catalog
Continued from Missed Chances

Him:

My heart sank, those words fell like drops of rain
They rang through my ears, echoing, echoing
What did she mean by that? Moved on? How?

I spent many years out in the world
Trying to get better so I can be the one
Who would be deserving of her affection

When I left her, I had nothing to my name
All I had was the shirt on my back
I had nothing to give her but my heart

But my love would not have been enough
Sweet words, a gentle touch, side by side
We would have died with nothing

I wanted to give her the best things in life
Enough, at least, to sustain us especially
When the times comes to start a family

So I climbed and clawed and conquered every mountain
My desire to be with her fueled my spirit
And the next time I see her again, I can be the one

Now I can give her the life that she deserved
But she rejected it. I was so baffled and torn
All those years I spent apart from her
Moments that I could have created with her
They are all fading into the distant past
Meaningless separation

When at last I could behold the stars
Gravity pulled me back to earth
Into the depths I plunged
She no longer loves me...

Her:

When he left me that day, without a word
My heart broke, I couldn't bear it
Why the hell did he leave me?

I looked straight into the horizon
Where his figure slowly diminished
Until all I saw was an empty street

I wanted to run after him
Beat his chest and throw every curse at him
I tried to shout at the top of my lungs
But I just stood there

That would have been a fine day
Funny, we were sitting on the same bench
I was laughing, he always joked around
It was cute when he tried so hard

Nothing could have prepared me
When he just told me that he would be leaving
Out of the blue, he just said it

I laughed thinking that he was just joking
But his silly face quickly became serious
He said he wanted to see me one last time

But, our stories collide once again
Life has changed us both
Our choices led us to different paths
Things can never be as they were

I have laid my hopes and dreams to rest
As the years passed, my optimism waned
I came to accept that we were not meant to be

So I let my heart break free from its cell
I tried to forget him to find solace
I had let go of my expectations of seeing him again

When at last I was able to come out of my cage
To spread my wings feeling the rush of air
And feel life breathed into me again
He comes back and I fell from the sky
Like a shooting star plunging toward earth.

Comments

Featured