Coming Home


Flashes and images, sights and sounds, a breeze through my skin
I sit here on the porch of my house, gazing idly at the horizon
I look at the sunset and wonder how many I've seen in my lifetime
It never gets old, its beauty continues to mesmerize me, it's surreal,
It only grows on you all the more, and the more I experience it
My heart swells up with appreciation and awe for this lovely gift
And how I wish I could take this moment with me forever

I was on a boat once traveling to a new world, to a new life
And every night, I looked at the stars, and I wondered
How beautiful they were, though they may be too far to reach,
They kept me company until I met a fellow admirer whose
Sentimentality equaled mine. We talked and we laughed.
There were nights when we just walked on the deck
Sharing stories about our adventures and even some
Awkward silences. The stars didn't seem too distant after all.

Then we went up into the air on a hot air balloon. We passed
Over mountains and valleys, we saw the meandering rivers
And farmers working their fields with their oxen.
Sailing high in the sky, I felt I was on cloud nine.
We went on many adventures, we dove from the sky,
We scaled Everest, we went to the depths of the sea.
I hoped that we could have gone to more places but
I was left behind.

Now I'm looking at the sunset, all the years passing by me
Like a reel, and it fills my heart to know that I have lived fully
No regrets, it was a fun life and I am ready to lay it all aside,
I know I am ready to come home.

Comments

Featured