Dilemmas of a Writer: Closure

Photo by Anna Kolosyuk on Unsplash
Finding the right way to end things is very tough. I think that’s why many stories are criticized across all media. Before I go on, when I say ending, I refer to it as the part starting from the climax until the resolution of the story. For example, in Titanic, I would consider the ending from the time Jack died until the end of the movie.

There are some beautifully executed endings like Of Mice and Men or Breaking Bad. What makes them brilliant I think would be the impact it left on me. The stories themselves were remarkably written. And being able to end it the way they did was the cherry on top.

I think being able to stay true to what the narrative is saying allowed these stories to end beautifully. The writers didn’t compromise. Based on the events that have happened and the journey of the characters, the writers were able to bring about the narrative to its logical conclusion.

You would think that if the story was well-written from the beginning, then it should have a good ending. But that’s not always the case.

Sometimes an ending can be surprising in a good way. But sometimes the ending doesn’t really fit the rest of the story. When an ending doesn’t make sense despite the brilliance of the narrative, I find myself very frustrated. I feel as though I’ve been cheated on or shortchanged.

This doesn’t mean that the ending results in someone’s death so I can’t accept it. Actually, if the story demands it, I’d rather that a character die even if s/he is a pivotal one. I think that’s what attracted me to Game of Thrones especially during its first three seasons. The story did not put characters on a pedestal. If a plot point benefited the story, that was what happened. I like that uncompromising approach to storytelling.

I would also like to add that it doesn’t matter if an ending seems cliché. As long as it is justified by how the narrative has progressed, then it would be fine.

I don’t think a story can be brilliant all throughout. As it progresses, there will be moments that stand out. While there are other scenes that may seem bland or boring. And that’s just how life is. There are highs and lows. Sometimes, it’s monotonous. Then one day, something can add a splash of color to it.

But what is it about the ending that makes it so essential?

I think it’s important because it punctuates the story. It’s what leaves a mark in the hearts and minds of people. It’s what resolves the tension or conflict of the story. A good ending should give the readers or the audience enough room for catharsis. It’s usually what cushions the blow after the climax.

There are usually many ways to end a story.

It can be a quiet ending. It could show the aftermath of war. Perhaps, when somebody dies in the end, an ending might illustrate the effect of the loss of that person. For example, in the films The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, we see what happens after Frodo destroys the ring or how Bilbo moved on with life.

Maybe the story ends in tragedy. Or the story ends in a happy ending. No matter how a story ends, we will be affected one way or another. But perhaps it’s quite ironic that the endings that stick with us the most are the ones that hurt us the most.

I think what matters most in an ending is that it shows that it’s not actually the end. I know that may not make any sense. But the thing is life moves on even after one story ends. Until we reach our ultimate destination, an end can always be the beginning of something else. So in a sense, the story continues. It doesn’t really end. This time however, it might be telling something else entirely different.

At the end of the day, stories show us something that is universal – the human condition. It appeals to our experiences as individuals, as a group, and as we interact with one another. The way that these stories are told can affect our view of life, of others, and of ourselves.

That’s why I think it’s so difficult for writers to write an ending. How can you end a good story? Even if a story ends in death, life still moves on. How can you make sure that a happily ever after stays that way? Well, it doesn’t. And I think that’s also the beauty of storytelling. It doesn’t end there. You can always continue telling it.

I think my attitude toward storytelling has evolved such that when I encounter an ending that is not what I hoped for, I just accept it. That doesn’t remove the frustrations, pain, and suffering that I feel toward the ending especially if it ends in a tragic death. But I have learned to respect the author’s choice.

I still struggle most of the time to find closure. When I watch or read a tragic story, it still takes time for me to move on from it. It sticks with me. But I just take one day at a time. That doesn’t mean that I should forget about it. Rather, I have to process it and accept the reality of it. I often have random bouts of nostalgia and that’s why I cry from time to time because I need to let it out.

I hope that whatever you’re going through right now, you would find a way to get closure. I hope that you get to move on because I know the agony. You might feel depressed about it. And you might even go through some existential crisis. I’ve been there many times. I’m just grateful to have people I can count on.


So these are the dilemmas I face as a writer. Have you ever faced them as well?

Comments

Featured