Reality

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep
~ Robert Frost, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening 

Stopping by woods is probably one of the best poems I have ever read.

Not only does it have perfect form and it creates a very vivid image in one's mind, but it also contains a deeper meaning of what life is and its complexity.

It gives a sense of fantasy yet it will abruptly pull you back to reality.

It gives a depiction of our desire to break away from society's grip, to break loose of the bars of responsibility, but we are also reminded that we must continue on with life, no matter how difficult it is.

As I read the poem, it gave me an experience that I can only have in my mind. It brought me to this winter paradise, the snow slowly falling from the sky, collecting itself on the ground, and I mire at it. There were no worries, no problems to think about, no duties to attend to exist.

I was alone in the woods. I was at peace with myself and with nature. But then, I hear something in the wind. Something is beckoning me to come back and I, with no choice, reluctantly went.

Now, when we look at the poem in a deeper level, picking it one by one, we will be able to see the high level of skill and creativity that Robert Frost has. He shows, through his poem, a universal truth. The woods depicts escaping from responsibilities and problems.

As the man, with his horse, goes to it, he is pulled by a natural force and he is free from bondage. But, as much as he wants to stay, he must go back to reality. For he has a journey to finish. He has goals to reach and a long way before he could go to his rest.

So, I say, enjoy the holidays with family and friends because these are the only days when you can truly bond with each other. With that, a Blessed Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!!!

Comments

Featured